Saturday, July 6, 2013

Acts 29 in Action

     As we flew over Guatemala City, I looked down at the beautiful lights and reflected on the amazing sight below me. The shining lights could have belonged to any city in the world. From the sky, Guatemala City looked like every other city; bright, beautiful and bustling with activity.  As I looked below, I knew that the lights of this city, in the country of Guatemala, held another reality I would soon encounter.  A reality that has drawn High Pointe to this country for years.  As I glanced over at Katie, I was inspired by her tears of joy which were an outward expression of the love and joy she was experiencing, knowing she was landing in a country to serve Christ. As we started to descend, Heather sensed my anxiety at the turbulence we were encountering and she gently held my hand which helped to calm my fear.  It was at this moment that I realized I was with family; a team who was here to walk this unknown road with me.

     We were joyfully and warmly greeted by Julia and Cesar as we departed from the airport.  I could tell that they were a natural extension of our church family and seeing them embrace the new members of our team was comforting.  It was then that we met our new family member, Jackie, who has fit in perfectly with our team.  We spent a great night together in Guatemala City and woke up today ready to get to work. After a delicious breakfast (with freshly squeezed pineapple juice, papaya, plantains and a made to order omelet), we had an insightful devotion with Janine, who led us through 1 Corinthians 13.  After we prayed, we embarked on our supply run at Walmart.  It was fulfilling purchasing medical supplies for the families we have supported over the years and I am looking forward to delivering the kits so that I can meet the people with which we have formed a lasting relationship.

     The drive to Santiago Atitlan was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.  The landscape is lush, with rolling hills, deep valleys and incredible vegetation.  As we kept driving away from the city, the new reality of Guatemala slowly came into sight and I knew why God has brought us to this country.  We came to express His love in a very practical and engaging way to a people who welcomes us with open arms.  I treasured each person we passed and felt my heart leap at each child who waved to me from the streets below.  Right now, as I reminisce on the faces I saw, I smile a joyful smile at being brought to this incredible country with my church family to love on people as we serve Christ.

     I am honored to be a part of this team and thrilled that God has allowed me this opportunity to serve the people of Guatemala.  And though I don't know what the days ahead will bring, I know that standing on the foundation of Christ will keep me grounded. 

     The High Pointe Guatemala 2013 team is ready to put Acts 29 into action...
                                                                                                                Cheryl Moyd






    

No comments:

Post a Comment