Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

Well here we are again, the day before we leave.  This is my 7th trip to Guatemala and you would think that it gets easier.  Some things do, like knowing what to pack, how the day is expected to go tomorrow, and .........  Well honestly, the rest of it is never the same!

I still get jitters, butterflies, lightheaded and all the nerves and excitement that everyone else does!  I still hate flying even though I can do it without the use of narcotics now. :)  I still pack and unpack and change things at the last minute.  I still worry if I have forgotten something or if everything will be okay at home while I am gone.

But I am so excited to go back.  Back to my second home.  To a place and people that I feel like I just left yesterday because they are never far from my heart, my mind and my prayers.  I look forward to seeing how Barbara is doing and seeing her beautiful smile as she once again says thank you for our help.  And I can't wait to see Gregoria, Vilma, Claudia and Estaban, whom we built a home for last February.  I'm praying they are doing better than they were last July and that the younger children are able to go to school.  And to see all of the other families we have built homes for and have the privilege to pray with and for them.  To see the teens at the school and ask how they are doing since we were last there.  To follow up with Brother Tomas and find out if the teachers who were interested in finding out more about Christ ever went to church.  So many reasons.....

And this time I get to share the experience with my daughter, Cassady.  She was only 6 when I went on my first trip.  She has seen the pictures, heard the stories, and prayed with me.  But this time she gets to 'go'.  I have been praying for her for months and I am so excited to see how God will use her and work in her.  She is my sunshine and I know she will spread that sun to others. 

Everything is packed, waiting by the front door, and we are enjoying a quiet afternoon until festivities start this evening.  It will be a fun night, but a different one for sure.  Because as we celebrate our freedom here in America, I am reminded of those who go without and those who don't have the freedoms or the things we do.

I am blessed!  And I know that it is not because of anything I have done.  God placed me here in America, it was His choice.  But I have to believe it was for a reason.  I have much so that I can share with those who don't.  So today and this evening my heart and prayers will be grateful to those who gave their lives to fight for those freedoms and I will not take them for granted.  Tomorrow, I will go on the mission that God has called me to, to serve others, to bring love and hope and share Christ with the people of Guatemala.

Our team will meet at 5:30 am to leave for the airport.  We are ready! We are excited!  Most of all we are willing!  And I can't wait to see what He has in store for us!





1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading amazing Stories from everyone! Praying you made it all there safe and minimal delays.

    ReplyDelete